Sunday, November 24, 2013

Port Ludlow

Well, I did it. I went to one of the Yarn Harlot's knitting/fibre retreats. I'm still shocked that it all worked out.
I hauled myself, my mini spinner and innumerable supplies all the way to the top  left corner of the contiguous United States and spent three days immersed in a fantasy.

Know that the theme of the weekend was 'wait' as it started with a long wait in an airport, a longer wait in traffic and finally a delayed but delicious dinner.
I met knitters at the airport, knitters in the car pool and knitters at dinner. I met knitters everywhere. It was that kind of weekend.

Here's my view of Port Ludlow when I woke up at 4am the next morning.



It was very dark…
And you will be pleased to know that darkness is the same in the North West as it is in the South East. The only difference is that it was a little cooler and the water was audible.

I was up, showered and dressed and carefully reviewing all my supplies and my schedule for the day before 4:30 and then after I spun for a couple of hours I took a short walk.


The little hotel was charming.




And such beautiful early morning light.


The food was excellent.


Please note that the table mat seen above is my lace sampler from Stephanie Pearl McPhee's class. My idea. Nobody else seemed enthusiastic about using their class samples to eat their food off of.


Grapes were in abundance.


Judith was there and was, as always, fantastic. There were so many people who came not being able to spin at all and by the end of class were making yarn! The bravery of these people amazes me.


Nancy Bush was there and we talked Estonian shawls. I knitted nupps. They aren't as bad as I thought they would be. In fact, I'm rather desperate to knit an Estonian lace shawl. I may have helped initiate a KAL…

We also did knitting yoga. Led by Beth Hansen who is part of the Hansen minispinner crew.


And every night it was beautiful.


I took very few pictures and don't have even one of the Stephanie Pearl McPhee (the Yarn Harlot) to share, but I was busy talking (putting my foot in my mouth), enjoying the hotel (drinking whisky) and learning new things (and yes, learning new things is what was happening), so I had to focus on those things.

But it was amazing. I was very lucky to be able to get in, to be able to make the finances work and to be able to get the time off work. Very, very blessed.




2 comments:

SJ said...

Looks like it was a wonderful time. I am very, very jealous.

Amanda said...

Wow, magic! You mentioned it briefly, but it looks like a fantastic weekend.