Monday, January 13, 2014

Facing the yarn...

So clean up and toss out continues. (I really should come up with a fancy name for all of this. Something bold, assertive and predictable. Like Operation: Tidyupyourcrap. That might work.)
 I am slowly easing into the hard stuff like bed linens.
 I have a 'thing' for sheets and duvet covers and find them hard to part with because you know, one day you're going to need them.
When you have a sheet emergency. Those happen all the time, in my head.
Meanwhile I have all these sheets and duvet covers and pillowcases for double and queen size beds and I own neither one of those anymore. This week I packed up a cream embroidered duvet cover and 2 pillowcases and it's in the give away pile. Admittedly normal people are probably scratching their heads and looking puzzled at what they could only consider a minor event, but I say that's progress. I deserve a reward! Maybe new sheets?

And there has been a concerted effort to organize and pack away fibre and yarn. It's been great to see piles of stuff disappear but I keep finding yarn that isn't logged onto my Ravelry stash, so the number that I already thought was crazy, is apparently not the actual number of skeins of yarn that I own. Oops. It's worse than I thought.

For instance, here are some skeins that I found a few days ago.
The first is Broken Pattern, specifically their sock yarn in the colourway 'Berries'.


I found 2 skeins of Dyeabolical Strong Arm Skinny Sock. The first is the colour 'Firefly' and I want to knit it now!


And then their "Flower Shop Inferno". Pretty stuff.


And I think this is what is worrying me about my stash. I want to knit all the things in all the patterns but having too much yarn and buying too much yarn is a) preventing me from following through with my original plans, and b) resulting in my losing track of what I own.
 And so I persevere.
 No new purchases.
Go stash shopping, go cold sheep, haul out the old yarn diet or whatever it's called. The time has come to use it or lose it. (I type this while making nervous faces at the computer. I feel a stumble in my future…)

1 comment:

SJ said...

I'm sure I have a similar situation in my stash -- there are a lot of random skeins that aren't listed in my Ravelry stash, so as far as I know they don't exist. Then there's a skein of STR that I know I have but haven't been able to find in several years. So perhaps I need to follow your lead and do a thorough clean/reorganization.