Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Looking for rainbows.

There's been a lot of this.


And this.


And a lot of muddy paws resulting from this.


There's also been a lot of baking, tv watching and general lazing around and taking it easy during our precious snow days, but the snow has now officially left us and instead we were treated to an incredibly loud thunderstorm at 3am this morning.
 As a die hard romantic/escapist/fantasist type, I love a thunderstorm. But as an almost 40 year old with poor sleep habits and a penchant for reading past midnight, I resent being woken up at 3am. And when I say loud, I mean house vibrating loud. The lightning was impressive too and after worrying a little about my tv I ended up bumbling my way downstairs in the dark to go and yank the plug so that my electronics didn't get fried. And then back upstairs to lie in the bed and resent not sleeping. I would have practiced my tossing and turning except that all 3 animals were nervous and were sleeping as close as they could get to me. I was trapped in fur and sheets and could do nothing but count the seconds between lightning and thunder. It wasn't as interesting as I'm making it sound.

As an antidote to all the white and now the grey, I started spinning some colour.
It's a BMFA club fibre and the colourway name is Prism, base is Polwarth.


I'm making the most of every moment of crafting as we are short handed at work and I am working extra. Again.
I like helping out when I can, I really do, but I'm tired and grumpy and feeling out of sorts. Every day has to start with me trying to talk myself into getting out of bed and not spending the day dreading the next one.
That's a lousy way to live.
I really need to disengage for a little bit but there's no hope of that right now. I was so grateful for those snow days as it made me stop and take a break, but the truth is that until there's a little more steadiness in my work schedule, I'm going to find the day to day stuff hard. Oh, well. Plenty of people have it so much worse than me that I'm ashamed of complaining. I am a firm believer that you can teach an old dog new tricks so I'm just going to keep trying to focus on each moment and not dread tomorrow so much. Tomorrow will be dealt with later.

2 comments:

SJ said...

I completely understand how you're feeling right now. My work is crazy as well -- in addition to my usual heavy load, I've just been told that I now need to do the work of someone who left/quit. And my husband is traveling, so I'm barely sleeping and spend most of my time at home chasing the kid. I need a vacation! Maybe we should run away to a spa or something?

Abby said...

I loved the comment that "it wasn't as interesting as you were making it sound." That made me laugh. :) And your spinning is beautiful - looking forward to seeing how that knits up. Hope you're getting rest now - I know that's hard and makes the days seem much longer than they actually are. Sending best wishes.